Saturday, August 11, 2012

When is Too Much Too Much?


It is time now to seriously, like seriously tackle the craft room I have been whining about for years.  And I mean tackle.  I have a number of things organized in my life and this is the last vestige of total chaos.

SO, what I am thinking about - yes, I am using you as a sounding board.  I'm thinking I should just pack everything up as if I were going to move.  Over the years since 1998 my art has changed.  We have gone from scrapbooking, to stamping, to making cards, to altered books, to mixed media.

I have tools that are never used anymore. What to do with all of it? Good question and one I need to ponder. Maybe will pack and give to a local stamp store, Angela's Happy Stamper, for her to donate to worthy causes.

Anyway, just had to get this off my chest because I am going to take this step and it will be a little drastic and interesting to see where I stop. I have seriously considered packing it ALL up and starting all over.


What started this was my note from The Universe:


"Sometimes, Marlynn, if the direction you're about to move feels 'right' in your head and heart, yet the first few steps look pretty daunting, no fun, and maybe even scary, you should take those first few steps anyway and get 'em over with.
     "And I'm not just saying that because watching you in action gives me goose bumps.
     "Oh.... behave,
            "The Universe."


Me and the Harl will keep you posted, peeps.  Enjoy the weekend.

8 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

It's good to get rid of some of the excess--but it's a big job when you have lots of stuff and of course, as soon as you let it go, there will be somethng in the lot that you suddenly need for a project--but you'll make do with something else and it won't really matter in the end. Good luck!

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

This is exactly what I need to do, too. Exactly. Ugh! Good luck.

Julie Prichard said...

Kids...schools!! Give it to some kids or a teacher..they will love you!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, Marlynn. It doesn't look like too much to me. But I agree that this may be exactly what you need. I may do the same right along with you.

See that empty-ish space right in the front of your desk. Leave it! Find a staging area someplace in the room, even if you have to bring in a table. Remove ONE area at a time, go through it on the desk. Use the table/staging area for things you are keeping. Get three boxes or bags that are manageable for you to lift and mark "Give away" on one, "Keep" on one, and "Pitch" on the final one.

Your pitch box/sack is for things that have dried up or "died" over the past few years. Check everything. Don't keep anything that has lost its life expectancy. Get rid of it, since it isn't fair to give away something that no longer is viable.

Put the "keep" items on the staging area table in some kind of order. Try to sort as you pitch. That way you'll know how much room you will need and for which items.

Obviously the "give" items are those you no longer use, but are still viable. There are many options, just make sure if you donate them to a school, that the school actually WANTS or would use the stuff. Some things you mention would be fine, but others might never be used and looked on as someone trying to give their junk away. If you have something like Freecycle in your area, this may be a better option. The recipient has to pick it up and you will know it goes to someone who truly wants it. Keep various craft interests separate. Don't try to lump everything together in one package. Just a suggestion.

Terri said...

Wow! Marlynn, you are a very brave one! I have thought of this myself, but never actually done it! Imagine thought the possibility of starting totally fresh....who knows?
I am with you on this!
Can't wait to hear how it goes.
Hugs,
Terri

Annette said...

I support you in your endeavor!

Dianne said...

ummm...yes. I think many of us need to receive that same note from the universe. I know I do...and your room looks quite a bit better than mine. sigh*

Send Flower Bouquets Jaipur said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!