Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Reaping in the Breeze

Kind of like the label for this blog post -- Reaping in the Breeze, reminding me of an ole time rival meetin'. But no, that is not where we are going tonight. Many months ago I took a workshop with Claudine Hellmuth and we learned about "transfers" ... I am "transfer" challenged and I really think it is because I don't do it that often. The piece to the left was completed at the workshop. Patterns underneath other images and I love the lady.

I found this and two other pieces in the scary place: The Closet. I had really forgotten about them. Since I have been focusing on the alphabet ATC cards, I decided I needed to set them aside for this week. Yup, only three left. I will work on them again this weekend. Hopefully, I might be able to whip them out. How come is it the last ones are the hardest to complete?

Anyway, I took this piece of canvas and started playing with it. I had a book, Brother Odd, that I was done with and so I cut out the image from the cover of the paperback.


And I had my Epiphany..... the Grim Reaper...... Oh what a twisted mind I have, yes a little twisted and wicked:


I looked through some my my rusty pieces found in my parking lot and added two of them around her head - To me it looks like an upside down key hole...

And the finished work..... a few jewels here and there, a few rhinestones, and the reaper does his reaping....

Not certain if I am done with it or not ... but it can just sit and "cure." I am now playing with the second transfer piece which I am not as crazy about as this one. Its title might be "Paris Burning" - so, if you will excuse me I will begin to play with images on top of the transfer on canvas! It has been a busy week and I am kind of yawning right now and my Ghost Hunter Boys are on tonight.. . You all have a great evening..... Hugs to all.....

5 comments:

Debby said...

I am loving this piece, it really speaks to me for some reason. Beautiful work!
Debby

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I would never have guessed this was the same piece had you not shown it. I love the rusty dohicky you put around her head. It looks like a keyhole to me.

You wonder if it is finished, and I thought it was finished in the first photo. Shows how much farther you take your pieces.

Diane said...

Wow, what a transformation--very cool. Julie taught us transfers in her class-2 different ways. I know what you mean--they never turn out the same, which, I guess, is a good thing. I've known how to do them, but I like watching her and working along side her so I can't screw up.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

OK this one really speaks to me M!!!
The Grim Reaper was one of my Alex' fav things to draw (I KNOW!) ... you have now put the song DREAM REAPER (Weaver) in my head thank you very much ;)must look up WHO sings that?
Excellent use of your transfer lady AND your rusty bits ... ooo I Love me some rusty bits!!!
Always fun where your playing leads you!
Happy Sunny Day to ya!
oxo

Terri said...

Oh Marlynn, you have done amazing work on this piece. It is "art", it has a voice!
I love that you have a "scary place". I have a closet like that too, and every week I say I am going to clean it out. Ha!
I also like how you said you were going to let your piece "cure". I do that too. Just let it set for a while and see what I feel about it later.
Hugs to you girl!
Terri