Saturday, December 27, 2008

Natasha Batti-Loupstein Lives


Once upon a time a calendar comes into your life and it makes a difference. Yes, I do have one for the upcoming year of 2009 thanks to a special friend. Each month you will get to see a new page come alive in "before" and "after" photos. Bless Edward Gorey! You rocked baby!

Today, for the month of January 2009, it is my pleasure to introduce to you Natasha Batti-Loupstein. A poor neglected murderess. You see Nat went to a party at the Vila Libellule in Nice and poisoned the canapes. Oh well, guess she didn't like them. I don't believe she will qualify as a judge on Top Chef! Way too emotional.


If I were hanging out with these girls, I think I would consider poisoning the canapes too. I found these beauties in an old cookbook entitled, "Out of Vermont Kitchens" circa 1939. I do like this illustration titled "Beverages & Canapes." They just don't look like a happy happy bunch of party goers. The only happy one seems to be the plump one drinking. This is not a happy gaggle of geese. OK, enough said.


Back to Natasha -- unlike, Natasha, I would not pulverize a paste necklace since I wouldn't be caught dead in a paste necklace. But then again, maybe, she was devious enough to sit in her craft room and make a necklace out of a poisonous material in order to pulverize and sprinkle over the canapes?


Who knows, unfortunately, this murderess is so obscure I can't find a bio on her even when googling her. Did she hang for her crime? How many died by eating those canapes? Is she haunting the hallways of the still standing villa?

Speaking of the Villa - yes, I did find a Villa Libellule in Nice -- ah ha - the story may be true, after all. Here is the description of the Villa - intriguing don't you think:

"Villa Libellule nestles in the centre of Menton, 200meters from beautiful sandy breach. The villa and garden is furnished in a happy mix of French, Scandinavian and Balinese style, with the cosy and luxurious Guldsmeden feel."


Hmmm, I wonder if "breach" means beach? Who knows. Hopefully, I did Natasha justice and she can rest in peace. The girls told me she is still haunting the halls of the Villa. Do tell, Nat, give it up. You, on the other hand, can rest assured she is hanging in my bathroom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Paste," in this sense, doesn't mean the stuff you ate out of the jar in grade school.
"During the mid 18th century, there was an increased interest in faux jewelry as a result of a surge of highway robberies as well as a trend in European societies to avoid wearing precious jewels, especially after the French Revolution. As a result, a new type of stone was invented, called 'Paste,' which in essence was a special lead glass that could be hand cut and hand faceted to create an exact diamond look-alike. These stones would then be foiled (with a type of aluminum) and set in silver to bring out the brilliance of each stone, before being backed in gold (a process similar to their more expensive counterparts).

Often paste jewelry was an exact replica of a diamond piece that was worn, and if so, it was usually made by the same jeweler. It is important to realize that the paste pieces were made of equal craftsmanship as the precious jewels, and was so sought after at this time, even by Royalty."

I have this calendar too, and love it!

Marlynn said...

Thank you so much "anonymous" - whomever you might be - It never crossed my mind about the paste and, yes, I should have remembered that we did called faux jewlery "paste" at some point. Let's raise our glasses in a toast to Natasha. I just wish I could find more info on Natasha herself.