Sunday, June 5, 2011

Urban Urchins and Vestal Virgins


I always wonder how the weeks run away so quickly. My week was busy at the office and I did not get in as much tennis or cleaning as I wanted. But overall a fantastic week. Worked late one day after work but well worth the time in order to catch up. These three day weekends do play havoc with your plans.


First off, we will visit the U and V in the Alphabet ATC collection.  These were fun when created, I created the Vestal Virgin card early on and used a Hunt Tomato Paste food can wrapper as the background. Once I found the clip art the title jumped into my head.


With the U - this one was a more difficult one in being "birthed" - I chose the background first and have loved the charlie chaplin and clown kids clip art for a long time.


The boston terrier reminds me of my Poncho who grew up with me. The metal circle around the pup - not sure what it is but I had it in my collection of stuff.


On the holiday last week I did get dresser drawers cleaned and straighted.... felt good.  Today I was able to meet a fellow artist in my area. We first met on PaperWhimsy, then FaceBook when we friended each other. Later we realized we were not that far apart...... Me in Sterling, She in Arlington. We have had fun in the FaceBook community for the last 9 months.


Today she had an art opening. theresa mARTin is an inspiring artist.  She showed at the Glenview Mansion Art Gallery in Rockville, Maryland. For a peek, click on this link.  I ended up buying two of her works. The first was what I call "she had me at the rhinestones." What more can I say. I am a rhinestone kinda gal.......I also bought a smaller assemblage work call "3".....

 The inspiration was so exciting. I really can't wait until July when I will start creating again. Drove home from Maryland and guess what, the traffic here in this area can be a pain in the butt. A breezy easy Sunday traffic jam, you can only image the chaotic chaos it is during the week,


In the meantime I am cleaning, and cleaning, and cleaning....Two big meetings coming up, one on June 13 and one the last week in June.  In the meantime, I will be cleaning, working, playing tennis, and working out with my trainer. Sorry I am so boring right now - but that's the way it is in my world. I am still loving my new book,


So, for me, back to reading my book. Hugs to you and I am going to go blog hopping which I haven't done in like forever. I think of you all often, I really do.

9 comments:

Sherry said...

Love the "U" and the "V" -- vestal virgins makes me think of "White Shade of Pale" and when I was in Rome we learned all about the vestal virgins. I was 16 -- had no idea they had really "existed"! The urban urchins make me smile...love the faces, including Charlie's -- he's perfect as an urchin!!

Cleaning and visiting with a blog artist friend...you've been busy!!!

Terri said...

Love the U and V. Both of them have really wonderful elements. I love the dog too!
So glad you had a good week. I was wondering how you were doing.
I have not mailed your thingy yet...I decided on a last minute change. It will be out in the mail this week. Yay! I hope you like it.
Have a fabulous week!
Hugs,
Terri

Sugar Lump Studios said...

I love them both! How clever to use the tomato label as part of your art! Glad you were able to meet Teresa too!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are NOT boring. You are leading a very busy life. Both the U and V are very clever ATCs. You have such a wonderful imagination when it comes to those ATCs. An the word verification begins wit a "u" too.

Have a great evening and what's left to the weekend. I'm off to check out Teresa's link. I can just imagine the rhinestones.

Diane said...

I agree with Marilyn--always very clever. And I have that same book! As a matter of fact, I'm taking it out in the yard with me while I'm in Turtle spa--this little turtle is being very pampered--although I don't even think he knows what's going on--He just sleeps now.
And wow---look at that traffic!!!

theresa martin said...

Hi Marlynn, It was wonderful meeting you and thanks again for supporting my show and buying art! Can't wait to meet up with you in July when we can a few moments to sit down together. It was a bit hectic and crazy yesterday.

~*~Patty S said...

OH my Dear ~ Would that be the Disintegration bundle rhinestones you mean with the tatted lace background? I get weak kneed over rhinestones too AND Theresa's artwork...seeing it in person was beyond wonderful...too bad you couldn't stay a little longer or we come a little earlier! Would have been super to see you there...I will look forward to July!

You come up with the most clever names for your pieces...always fun how your mind works!

Stay cool jewel!
oxo

Unknown said...

Your post title acught my eye today. HAD to visit! The Urbin Urchins are great. You can't go wrong with Charlie Chaplin and the iconic little clowns! Great use of a tomato label on your VV card! I am inspired!

Like you, I am looking forward to getting creative again. Since my studio moved, I have been feeling unsettled.

(((hugs))) from your BFF

natsumi said...

so lovely!